The ROOTS TO THRIVE Curriculum
The course schedule follows a framework where participants come to know the heart of their identity by:
- dropping into their inner world and attuning to their values, authenticity and intuition, developing their ability to distinguish the imprints of social conditioning and survival/stress behaviours;
- strengthening their true identity and inner/outer congruence through mindfulness, understanding the process of trauma recovery and stress mitigation, and cultivating relationships of unconditional positive regard (with self and others).
- clearing their inner world through self-compassion, insight, and releasing shame;
- developing their sense of “calling” and coherence by aligning true identity with professional identity.
Practices are not Prescriptions. There are many suggestions and exercises included in this curriculum; these are not intended as magic bullets, but to enhance self-awareness through exploration, experimentation, and critical reflection on how each practice may or may not resonate with our unique needs and desires.
Course Preparation: To help track the inner through-line of our true identity, if possible:
1) Contact someone who knew you before you assimilated to societal/cultural ideals (before school age if possible). Ask them what they recalled about you, what stood out to them? What did you like/drawn to? What did you dislike/resistant to?
2) Find a picture of yourself as a young child (ideally before school), reflect on what it was like at that age, can you remember what drew you in, what captured your heart? Perhaps it is certain people, tasks, events, or activities that you remember getting lost in. If you can’t recall any memories that young, can you think back to times as an older child where you were immersed in an activity/event/relationship? Consider what drew you, what called you in those activities? What was unique about them? What made them special?
Course Objectives: This 5-week curriculum is intended to facilitate alignment between our most compassionate and authentic self, our professional identity, and our relationships. We will do this by:
- Come to know the theory behind the work, laying the foundation for the process of strengthening congruence (including self-compassion, and working through trauma), and sense of coherence (including mindfulness, re-orientation, and confidence in our inner resources).
- Come to know and attune with our inner world, enabling us to strengthen and align with our inner resources.
- Understand the basic aspects of stress management and the strategies to facilitate the healing of past adversities/trauma.
- Practice pendulating between the inner and outer world,
- Practice re-orientation techniques that promote a greater ability to navigate stimuli before it becomes a stressor (sense of coherence).
- Developing a calling and working toward an ability to live within it.
Coming to Know through Tools/Rituals to Promote Sense of Coherence and Congruence Development. For example,
- ATTUNING: Pause Practice, Body Scan, Guest House, Gratitude, Optimism, Music, Loving-Kindness.
- STRENGTHENING: Loving-Kindness, Affirmation, Authentic Expression, Connecting to Others/Nature, Receiving Unconditional Positive Regard.
- CLEARING: Breath (4×4, 4-7-8), Body (stretching/softening), Shake it off/exercise, stretching/softening, EFT, Chakras, Heart Filtering, Mind sweeping, Forgiveness.
- ALIGNING: Loving-kindness, Gratitude, Authenticity, Meeting your Future Self, Calling, Visioning, Ikigai
ROOTS TO THRIVE Course Outline: Roots to Thrive Course Outline
ROOTS TO THRIVE Book: Theory/research behind the work: DRAFT